Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The OCD Gardeners!

People always come up to the house and want to trim our trees or cut our lawn or sell us something. I NEVER answer the door when I am home alone with the children and don't expect anyone. If I know you, yeah I will answer, but strangers, no. NEVER! It isn't because I live in a bad neighborhood, it is because I don't need to or want to, that is my right as the owner of this house. Maybe I am paranoid, but I am a momma lion after all. I keep my cubs in close.

About two weeks ago I had this strange issue with some "gardeners." These guys were going around the neighborhood ringing bells asking for work. They came to our house THREE times in ONE day!!! Isn't this insane? I know they knew I was home, the first time. Joaquin was running around screaming and we were dancing to loud music. I looked out the peep hole, saw people I didn't know, so continued dancing with my kids. I thought done and done, when they went away. But they came back about two hours later while the babies were sleeping, and again I didn't answer. They rang the bell like little kids do, like over and over again really fast. I was texting Camden while all this was going on and he couldn't believe it. Then the same guys came back when he got home a few hours later. He told them to stop ringing the bell like that and to not come around anymore, we simply weren't interested. The guy actually looked hurt, as if Camden was at his house harassing him. They left and said sorry for bothering us. Again, I thought that was that....

They came again today! The babes are sleeping and the house is completely quite. Go the F away! I wanted to write about this to see if I am the one that is crazy or are they? This all seems a little bizarre to me, if someone doesn't answer the door, and tells you they aren't interested, wouldn't you just leave them alone? It is freaking me out a little. I need a "No Solicitation" sign for all my doors. Does anyone out there not answer the door when they don't want to or I am just ridiculously rude? I just want to be cautious, or am I being too cautious? Ummm....Thoughts anyone?

5 comments:

Brynn said...

We have a no soliciting sign at work and the salesmen and young kids selling candy still come in. I tell them "no" and "please leave" and they stay and hit up patients in the waiting room! Some people!?!?

Bella said...

i understand that people need/want to work, but no means NO!! now that i'm not in the house mon-fri, i don't have to deal with that as much. my sympathies...

Cadie said...

I am with ya! I NEVER answer the door if I'm not expecting somebody! It's just plain rude to stop by unannounced - so if I'm not expecting a visitor I don't even bother. One time the bishop and one of his counselors came to my door, but they were just dropping by, and I didn't answer the door! Then they called me from their cell phone, and I got caught! Shouldn't have answered the phone either...

As for "gardeners" who don't get it, that would freak me out too - it's pretty much harassment at this point. Tell them you are calling the police. Do they have a car with a license plate you could report? Yikes!

Don said...

You're definitely not alone, I regularly refuse to answer the door if I look through the peephole and don't recognize the individual.

I can't believe they would continue to ring the doorbell over and over. That's just rude.

Cydne said...

That's when you tell them you have a job for them in the middle lane of the freeway...

but if they will cut down a BIG tree for about $300, send them my way.